Followers

Friday, December 2, 2011

"No-Sew" Sewed Ruffled Tree Skirt

As soon as I saw the DIY No-Sew Ruffle Tree Skirt craze going around Pinterest, I knew I had to try it. I've never had a real tree skirt because I've never found something that coordinated with my decor well enough. I had a ton of burlap in the garage so I decided to alternate rows of that and some super cheap white linen from Hobby Lobby. It was somewhere around $2.45 per yard. Then I went to Dollar Tree and got a hideous $1.00 felt tree skirt to use as a base.

I cut 2 yards of each kind of fabric into long strips that were 3 inches wide. In case you want an idea of how long that takes (mostly by fault of the burlap), I watched Men in Black and Serendipity all the way through with commercials and then about half of Serendipity over again. So yeah.


Then I took a break for a couple of weeks. :)

When I was nice and refreshed, I began pinning my first row of burlap ruffles. Then I took yet another week long break. I'm telling you people, this is not an easy project. It requires a LOT of dedication.


The original reason why I was drawn to this project was because it was a "No-Sew". All you needed was a hot glue gun and about 200 sticks of glue. But thennnn I thought about it. And thought about it. And then came to the final conclusion that the burlap would probably take ages to glue down and my ruffles might not be perfect.

So the "No-Sew Tree Skirt" became a sewing project. And let me tell you... it was quite the sewing project. I pinned and sewed 1-2 ruffles every few nights for a good three weeks. The only thing that got me through it was knowing that every row was shorter than the last.

And then... weeks later... I was DONE!!!! I decided I had to hot glue at least one part of the skirt so I glued some twine along the open part so I could tie it around the tree.


If I absolutely had to could do it again, I would make my ruffles line up. I got lazy with the linen and made the ruffles as I was sewing rather than pinning them so they look very haphazard.

The unfortunate kicker is that I created this for a 6 foot tree but then ended up getting a 9-footer a couple of weeks ago. Which means that I need to add several rows to make it a couple of feet larger.

It's going to have to do for now. I'll make it big enough for the tree next year. :)

1 comment:

bee said...

This is so cute. I would NEVER have had the dedication and patience to do this. Love the tree. Love your talents too!